New blog

All new content on my restarted blog is here

Monday, August 24

Rewired State goes teen and scores


Work for peanuts team by Julia Chandler

Public Strategy has a great and comprehensive post on Young Rewired State- Dame Emma Mulqueeny's baby held over the weekend at UK Google HQ.

Two projects leapt out for me:

'Blab to Betty - confidential unpatronising sexual health advice'

Something like this is sorely needed as sex ed is rather notoriously bad in the UK - it's one of the reasons we have such high teenage pregnancy rates. But also for young lesbians and gays sourcing advice and education online isn't good enough because censorware often blocks access via schools and libraries and if you're monitored at home you don't want to be surfing advice, community or sex ed websites. So a text (? post doesn't give details) service could help fill a gap in provision.

'
Blog-o-tics taking Bills plus blog search searched for emotive terms to create overall attitude score'

This rang bells for me and then I remembered I'd seen something which sounded similar in the 2008 US Election: Virtual Vantage Points monitoring of blog reaction.

These split the blogosphere into conservatives and liberals and picked up on text mentions in each. The idea from Young Rewired State sounds like taking this further.

I'd pulled out Text clouds from them for March 17 to see reaction to Obama's big speech on race.

Another group it reminded me of was what 6 Consulting (formerly from Cambridge) do in social media monitoring.

Neither of these ideas won anything but I can definitely see a space for both.

4 comments:

  1. Paul, it was an amazing weekend and you did pick out two outstanding devs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    Thanks for the 6consulting mention, good to know we are being thought of :-) Feel free to ping me an email on tmessett@6consulting.co.uk if you want to talk more about what we do.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Em. They both deserve highlighting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This rang bells for me and then I remembered I'd seen something which sounded similar in the 2008 US Election:

    dentists oklahoma city

    ReplyDelete