New blog

All new content on my restarted blog is here

Monday, August 20

What I'm reading


I've made some changes to make the blog a bit more useful for myself.

I've started using Google Reader and it's by far the easiest way to note stuff I've read. I'm a quick scanner. This I'm outputting into a 'what I'm reading' widget in the left-hand column and it comes with a 'public page' for 'starred' items plus I can make tagged feeds public too, I've done this with 'egov' and 'netmarketing' tagged feeds thus far.

Not made Google Reader my homepage but I'll cull feeds on my iGoogle homepage probably back to BBC/drudge/local now I can add Reader to iGoogle. Apparently there's some hacks too. Plus I've got personal search so I get Google Trends analysis of what I'm reading!

Here's Matt Cutts' Reader trends:



From looking at my start, it reads like I've done shit-loads of 'reading' but a lot is reading one line, or rather scanning it. So '543' with a big pinch of salt ...



The other thing is to add many more tags (Blogspot calls them 'labels'). I should have done this from the start, it's the easiest way for me to access and organise stuff and seems to have had the side-effect of encouraging tag clicks, though on ones like 'RAF' and 'firefox' - previously, tag clicks were on 'usability'. It also has the side-effect of boosting post visibility to search engines.

0 comments:

Post a Comment